Curious about something in particular..?

Monday 20 March 2017

Hacksaw Ridge And Fifty Shades Darker


I haven't blogged in little over a week, having been busy with preparing for my upcoming trip and all. Somehow though I always managed to fit in a cinema binge. But then it has been a good few weeks since my wedding now and I'm not working, so naturally my Cineworld membership card has been calling from my wallet...

So here are a couple of quick reviews to keep you satisfied until my next post...

Hacksaw Ridge



Mel Gibson's off-screen antics might have been somewhat questionable and downright alarming over the years, but there's never been any doubt about both his acting and directorial talents. 1995's Braveheart, 2004's The Passion of the Christ and 2006's Apocalypto might not be everyone's cup of tea - especially given the level of violence - but they proved that Gibson is just as skilled behind the camera as he is in front, and his latest WW2 tale Hacksaw Ridge proves he still isn't too old for this shit.

The film follows the true story of Desmond Doss (Andrew Garfield), a young man who volunteers to enlist in the US Army, but after a disturbing incident from his childhood vows to never handle nor fire a gun and instead wishes to serve as a field medic to his fellow soldiers. But during the Battle of Okinawa, where they face the nightmarish battleground dubbed "Hacksaw Ridge", Doss' bravery and commitment to his country are pushed beyond human limitations.

Garfield is on top form here, making it quite clear that he'll be remembered for much more than being an amazing Spider-Man as the years go by, but perhaps the most notable thing about Hacksaw Ridge is the unimaginable bravery of those who fought during the wars, whether armed or not, and whether allies or not. 

Fifty Shades Darker



Well, this is awkward. But you know the saying: "Curiosity killed the cat." In this case though, curiosity bored the bloody cat to death. Having (curiously, I must remind you) checked out the original when it landed on Netflix some weeks ago, it made sense (need I remind you of the word "curious" in the name of this blog), to catch the sequel when it hit the cinemas. Anyway, I won't spend too much time here. Pardon the innuendo, but like its predecessor, it is something of an anti-climax and has left me scratching my head as to why there's so much controversy surrounding these films and their respective books. There's zero sizzle between the film's hardly-star-crossed lovers, nor is there any actual bondage (not complaining), and the story is as unclear as "that" scene from Basic Instinct (a far raunchier film). Verdict? Still a better love story than Twilight.

Check out my next post where I'll review Hidden Figures and Patriot's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment