Curious about something in particular..?

Wednesday 5 April 2017

Take Note, Cineworld...


I realise I've talked only about movies on this blog so far, but as always seems to be the case, I've got a bit of a backlog with my reviews. This doesn't mean I'm slow at putting up reviews, though - it probably just means I watch way too many movies! That, and I'm only a few days into my trip, and I don't want to talk about Bangkok too much just yet. I want to save that post for when we're about to leave for New Zealand later this week, as a lot can happen between now and then.

For now, I'll start by stating the obvious: it's as hot as hell here, but then I didn't expect it to be snowing. During the day, the humidity is unimaginable and you can't survive a minute out on the streets without sweating profusely. But by night, it's just bloody hellish. Luckily, though, most of the buildings are air-conditioned, otherwise I'd have probably nose-dived out of the hotel window and into the swimming pool on the terrace five floors down by now.

Luckily, one of the coolest and most crisp places is the "Emporium"; perhaps the biggest shopping complex I've ever been to in my life (upon visiting again yesterday to explore and watch Boss Baby - see next post for the review - we got completely lost). There are restaurants, cafes, pubs, sushi bars, supermarkets, a sort-of mini rainforest (yes, you read that right), arcades, and of course, what complex is complete without a cinema multiplex. 


The Emprive Cineplex boasts the kind of lavish decor you'll probably never see in any cinema in the UK. The foyer area looks more like a Hilton hotel lobby, with dangerously-soft sofas and assistants dressed like valet parkers or the concierge, who are also far more friendly (like a lot of Thai people, for that matter) than the many who begrudgingly populate the cinemas back at home. In fact, everything about this cinema is awesome. 


As you can see from the pictures below, you're instantly welcomed by some impressive statues of Spielberg (I think that's who it's supposed to be), Marilyn Monroe and a camera man at the top. And though this is Thailand, there's a real sense of that Hollywood-feel, more so than I've found in any cinema in the UK, even the bigger IMAX ones. Okay, maybe the ones in the US and Canada are impressive in their own rights, but this one's got class. And while there's clearly a sense it's trying very hard to be "Westernised", I think it works.





And then there are the screen rooms (where the actual screens are huge). There are four different types of tickets: a "director's lounge" which looks to be some sort of bar area with HD televisions on the walls where you'd watch the movie of your choice; a "director's suite chair" which is a kind of futon or lazyboy; an "executive's suite" and the basic kind, and even that involves sinking into a sofa where you have more leg space than you need and with a warm blanket provided to shield you from the crips though far from unwelcome air-con. The only trouble I find with these sofas is they squeak every time you move. I wasn't worried so much about annoying anyone else in the room during the movie, but more so of raising eyebrows of suspicion, being sat with Sian and all... 

I must also point out that before the movie starts, you're expected to stand while the anthem for Thailand's new King is played in celebration which, for a brief moment, takes you out of that Westernised mindset and rightfully asks for some respect towards Thai culture. 


So far we've watched Life (check out my last post for the review) and Baby Boss (coming up next). I doubt we'll watch any more between now and leaving on Friday, but if you ever happen to be in Bangkok and fancy taking a break from the sweaty and relentless chaos of the streets (actually there's no "if" - you will), check out this cinema and the impressive complex that houses it. Just remember to take a map....


Okay, so my first post on my trip still doesn't quite involve visiting an iconic location like I've promised, but this is more of a bonus post showcasing a nice little gem we discovered nearby. Don't forget - we're yet to visit New Zealand, home to The Lord of the Rings movies, followed by real-life Jurassic Park in Hawai'i, La La Land itself (LA, if you didn't get that), we hopefully won't be too sleepless by the time we get to Seattle, and as mentioned in my Power Rangers review, we'll then be moving on to Canada where it was shot, and eventually New York (what movie hasn't been shot there?!). 


Check out my next post where I'll share with you our week in Bangkok/ Thailand which included spending a day with twenty-odd elephants on the River Kwai...






No comments:

Post a Comment