Curious about something in particular..?

Tuesday 8 August 2017

Reach For The Sky: How Disney Inspires Me To Aim Higher With My Writing


It’s no mystery to you that I love writing. The fact that I blog speaks for itself. And in my post on Disney LA some months back now, I did touch briefly on how its magic helps bolster my creativity, too. But why does it inspire me so much, and how? And how can it help do the same for you - assuming of course you love writing, too. I’ve come to realise that I’ve not spent an awful lot of time talking to you about my writing and my projects in this blog, but now it’s time for a change. It’s time I shared my learnings with you, and also gave a little insight as to what inspires me.

Disney is the melting pot of classics and has been making magic for some decades now, through feature-length movies and TV shows, whether live-action, animated or computer-animated, along with all of their respective and vast merchandise lines including video games and so on. Disney has been around since 1923, and it continues to go from strength from strength. 

That’s not to suggest I love everything they do, though. Far from it. I can’t stand Frozen. I wasn’t a big fan of Moana, either. Heck, I walked out of Cars 3 the other week. And just check out my review for the live-action Beauty and the Beast to see how I feel about that. Then there are the relatively-unknown live-action movies, as well as the rather annoying Disney Channel. Recent years have also seen Disney adopt the likes of juggernauts Marvel Studios and LucasFilm’s Star Wars movies, the latter of which fail to impress me - though I still love all the awesome merchandise that goes along with it. To say that Disney is impressive is undoubtedly an understatement. My point is that Disney is everywhere, and you know it’s only a matter of time before our very own moon looks like the silhouette of you-know-who. 

Getting back on point, though, the passion, imagination and craft that has gone into the likes of, say, Toy Story, is immeasurable. But Disney's creative universe is, of course, not just limited to television and cinema. After all, this post is inspired by my visit to one of their five theme parks around the globe. Simply put, Disney reinforces my desire to push forward with my creative aspirations, and I can only wish - upon a star, I suppose - that one day some of my work – even if it's just a fraction – will be both remembered and celebrated in such a fashion. Is it likely? Perhaps not, but that doesn't mean I won't try. Is it possible? Yes, of course it is. And it’s the likes of Disney that helps me think this way.

But Disney doesn’t necessarily just inspire me to write a children’s adventure book, for example. It inspires me in general; to be more creative and to remain determined to realise my dreams no matter the odds. If like me writing is your thing, then check out these tips on how you can make use of your visits to the place where dreams and imagination come true.

1. Do tell lies


Forget what Pinocchio taught you. After all, Pinocchio is one big lie itself. Of course, I’m talking about fiction. Tell more stories. If you love writing but you’re too afraid to dip your toe into the water of storytelling, then give it a go. What have you got to lose? Start off small – tell short stories, or heck, just jot a few ideas down. You’ll be amazed how a few notes can quickly evolve into a rather impressive concept. But like the theme park, writing a short story or a novel requires lots of moving parts working harmoniously together. That’s why it’s important to start off with something easy and breezy. Think up a new fairy tale, or if you’re struggling with original ideas then why not add a twist to an existing fairy tale and see what you can come up with? In fact, I wrote one just last week for one of my assignments with my creative writing course with The Writer’s Bureau. Feel free to message me if you’d like to read it, and I’d even be happy to share some of the invaluable feedback with you. Remember, practise makes perfect. And don’t worry about how far-fetched your stories might be – I promise your nose won’t keep growing.

2. Never grow up



No matter what obstacles and difficulties you face in your path – and face them you will - don’t forget to be true to yourself. Society likes to place labels on us all, and adults are expected to surrender to the norm and to put childish things away. Say no. The world will always need magic, and Disney is proof that magic does exist. It might not be the magic that features in most of its films, the kind where wishes are literally granted or where people soar through the heavens or pumpkins are turned into carriages or talking teapots pour you a cuppa and so on, but it’s the kind of magic that transcends from the world’s most creative minds into timeless adventures, classics and unforgettable characters, all of which, in turn, encourage new generations to enter that world and keep the wheels of its magic turning. Without your imagination and creativity, well the world would just be that little bit duller. Know that Disney doesn’t just encourage and drive my creativity – it’s one of the very things that shaped it in the first place. 

3. Soak in all the magic



Absorb everything around you. If you do find inspiration while exploring The Magical Kingdom then make sure you write it all down. Perhaps your ideas will help you iron out that children's adventure you've been wanting to write for so long. Just remember - less is more. The beautiful thing about Disney's franchises is their simplicity: good versus evil, characters falling in love, tales of revenge, coming-of-age stories. And don’t be afraid to take inspiration, either. Originality is overrated. Solid storytelling is what it’s all about.

4. Reach for the sky



I couldn’t agree more with Sheriff Woody on this. Do what you can to make your dreams a reality. If you have a dream then don't give up. And this doesn't just apply to writing, either. Earlier in this post I mentioned that I'd love to work for Disney. There's nothing stopping me from spending the next few years working on a manuscript for a potential Disney movie. I'm not suggesting you put all your eggs in one basket, but do remember to do all the necessary research before taking on such an ambitious task. And as a writer you must keep your fingers in as many pies as possible. That’s why I blog, work on short stories, novels, film reviews and more. You need to find out which pie tastes better, and ultimately which one you’ll get more out of. But whatever you decide, let your imagination guide you, and don’t set yourself limits. Be bold, and push your luck where possible. Just know that it's not going to be easy, and rightly so.



In fact, I am taking on such a task. It's not Disney-related, though. But as I said in the beginning of this post, it's time for me to start being a little bit more open about my projects. I'm working on a Ghostbusters fan-fiction novel, and I'm hoping to - if of course possible - send it off to the likes of Dan Aykroyd, or whichever appropriate Ghostbusters representative at Sony Pictures. What do I want out of this, though? Well, you'll just have to read that upcoming post to find out...
I’ve been writing for some three years now. More if you include all the scribbles in the years prior. But I’m now confident enough to say that I’ve acquired some serious disciplines in the past few years. My course with The Writer’s Bureau couldn’t be going any better, I’m now even writing for an online publication, and I never thought that I’d still be happily blogging months after my three-month trip. So don’t forget, if you feel alone with your writing or if you just need some advice or direction, then you've got a friend in me!

For email updates, why not become a Curious Follower? It's simple - just click on the "Follow" button at the top and follow the on-screen instructions. Then you'll receive an alert when a new blog post is published.

Upcoming blog posts include:-

Eight Awesome Freebies You Can Collect In Disneyland Paris
The Aykroyd Project: Grabbing the Terror Dog By The Horns
Whole New Worlds
Why Snowdonia Is Our Very Own British Columbia
How Travelling Has Inspired My Writing
Top-Secret Project: The Trespasser And The Mercenary

No comments:

Post a Comment