Curious about something in particular..?

Monday 19 June 2017

A Curious Wookie At Disneyland And Universal Studios


If you know us personally (that’s me and Sian), then you’ll have no doubt attended our wedding earlier this year. That means you know we’re a right pair of Disney buffs - and film buffs too. So naturally, during our visit to LA we visited both Disneyland and Universal Studios.

Whether it’s LA, Florida or Paris, Disneyland isn’t something I can ever see myself getting bored of. I often hear people say they’re ‘too old’ to go to Disneyland. To quote Peter Pan (and this is something I actually said to the shuttle driver who picked us up from the park and asked if we considered ourselves ‘too old’ for Disney); ‘never grow up.’ Okay perhaps I’m paraphrasing as I haven’t seen the film in some time, but words to that effect. 

I could spend a long time talking about these theme parks, so I’ll do my best to keep this as brief as possible and focus only on the highlights. But actually that’s going to be a struggle. I jump up and down on the spot whenever Sian buys me candy floss, so maybe it was all one big highlight.

I’ll start with Disneyland as that’s where we went first. Just minutes after entering, when we had already eagerly made our way to the end of Main Street – that’s the early 20th century-style street lined with classy souvenir shops, ice cream parlours and cafes that leads you to the infamous castle at the centre of the theme park – a horse smiled for me! That’s how magical Disney is. Okay it was probably a coincidence but just look at the picture below.

What breed? Magical.

However, the castle here is strangely small. This was our second visit to this particular Disneyland and I don’t know why we didn’t really notice before. Disneyland Paris – which we’ve also visited twice now - boasts a like-for-like castle as seen in the opening of any Disney movie, so I’m not sure why this one is some half the size. I guess I’ll just put it down to magic too. 

I won’t go into too much detail here, though I’m tempted to explain to you the exact layout of the park and all the awesome merchandise we saw (line by line, piece by piece etc.), but by the time you read this post I hope that what I’ve told you is enough to encourage you to go yourself, whether it's LA, Paris or Orlando. 

Anyway, when it comes to Disney merchandise, I can’t fault them. Perhaps the one thing that always really impresses me is how they’ve really capitalised on their ‘hybrid’ merchandise. By this, I’m talking about the genius ways in which they creatively cross several different lines. For example, you might find a Mickey Mouse-shaped Vinyl figurine which bears the anatomical details of a Star Wars character. Or perhaps a Yoda that’s actually Stitch but in Lego form. You get the idea. I guess I’m just lucky I don’t have the money to buy it all, otherwise I’d quite happily just let it go. 

Speaking of Star Wars, with new films now dominating the cinema every Christmas, as you might expect, the Force is very strong within Disneyland. There’s the Jedi Training School in Tomorrowland - where you’ll also find Star Wars-themed restaurant food - as well as a Star Wars expo-style museum where we were lucky enough to meet Chewbacca (who was very movie quality and very cuddly and also pointed out how similar I am to a Wookie with my beard and all) as well as the misfortune to meet Darth Vadar (not so cuddly). 

Warning: Choking hazard

A Curious Rookie and a Curious Wookie

This time we didn’t bother with our ‘treasure hunt’ of all the classic Disney characters (Mickey, Goofy, Pooh, Daisy and so on). In case you don’t know what I’m talking about, we did this in Disneyland Paris early last year, like big annoying children who get annoyed at actual children (who are actually ten times more annoying than we are). Sure, the characters were walking around all the same but it was just so busy and we thought we’d use the time exploring the parts of the park we hadn’t turned our attention to before.

That said, we saw them all in the eternally-awesome Disney Parade. Main Street is strategically cordoned off for a twice-daily (I think) parade that includes all the classic characters and more who appear on moving floats such as Pride Rock and Hook’s Pirate Ship. It’s quite simply magical. Just make sure you don’t let some of the annoying, spoilt, ungrateful children get in your way because their parents believe that it’s ‘all for the kids anyway’; a dig specifically aimed at both me and Sian as we enjoyed front-curb seats of the musical performance. You snooze, you lose.

Mary Poppins - one of my all-time exes_ er, favourites

Now onto Universal Studios’ theme park, which we visited the following day. On passing through the gates, it surprised me to hear the very appropriate Jurassic World score start playing. As you can imagine, I instantly felt like a big child, with the jovial music setting the tone right for the rest of the day. We got there bright and early too, which means we were able to visit the magical Hogsmeade from the Harry Potter movies and the colour-soaked Springfield from The Simpsons before the real crowds arrived. Now I really could go on forever, but all I will say is that the attention to detail in both these areas is just fantastic. I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Snow in LA in May? Must be that magic again

You have the music in your head now, don't you?

The magic is in the detail

Har-har

Awesome

They even sold some of that wonderful Duff

With it being so early and the crowds almost non-existent, we quickly made for the Universal Studios tour, which took us through the original studio backlots. Aboard a large bus we drove through countless movie sets including "New York" (used in several films such as Transformers, Fast & Furious and hit TV show How I Met Your Mother), a street used in Ted, Home Alone 2, Bruce Almighty, Gone Girl and many more, and Wysteria Lane from TV classic Desperate Housewives. More awesomely though we passed the one and only City Hall as seen in Back to the Future - as well as Gremlins and Psycho 2.

Ted: A lot bigger than in the movie

City Hall from Back to the Future

New York, LA

Though I wasn’t expecting anything from the Jurassic Park films, we passed the observation trailers used in The Lost World: Jurassic Park. These are the ones that were used in the scene where the two T. Rexes forced them over the edge of the cliff with our characters inside. We also passed the jeep Malcolm and co. use in the film as well as the gas jeep from the first movie. Then we were greeted by some cheeky dilophosaurs! Unfortunately we were moving too fast for me to get a picture.

Jurassic Park's gas jeep

The ill-fated observation trailers from the sequel

We also passed a building that, like the Hawaiian Convention Centre on Oahu and the Plantation on Kauai, was used for visitor centre scenes in the original film (most likely interior shots during the end scene, in my opinion). And in addition to our mega Jurassic World 2 scoop from Kualoa Ranch, as we passed a series of many other vehicles made famous in Hollywood films, we saw that Jurassic World’s gyrosphere ‘parking spot’ was empty. According to the sign, it has been "pulled for production"...

Pretty exciting, huh? But I wonder what it means. Obviously within the narrative of Jurassic World that particular gyrosphere was smashed to bits by the Indominus as it tried to eat brothers Gray and Zach, but that was CGI, so it sounds like the practical model is simply being recycled for a new purpose in next year’s highly-anticipated sequel. There's no doubt that it will end up with several tooth and claw marks though. After all, vehicles and Jurassic Park movies are hardly good bedfellows.

Suddenly things got a bit scary, as our bus entered a 3D King Kong experience. Like in the epic 2005 adaptation, Peter Jackson’s King Kong battled two V-Rexes with our bus was caught in the middle. It was a rocky ride and we were even splattered with some blood whenever one of the beasts' massive jaws took a smack from Kong. But let me tell you that unless you’ve experienced this ride, you haven’t experienced real 3D. The tour guide also said this, emphasising that it’s the best 3D experience there is. Here, snapping jaws aren't just flying out at you, and the details of the jungle looking like they're within reach - you're in the jungle, and those jaws are snapping all around. Where else other than Universal Studios itself I guess.

We also passed by the 747 crash site from Spielberg's War of the Worlds, which looked frighteningly real. To lift the mood though we briefly drove through "Whoville" from The Grinch, before stopping at Norman Bates' creepy mansion from the original Psycho. Then, we met the stars from the Fast & Furious movies (in a virtual sense of course, though it might as well have been them), as we engaged in a high-speed, adrenaline-charged chase with fast cars, huge explosions, gunfire and the heroes leaping from bonnet to bonnet. It was all very fast and very furious, and again, this is a real 3D simulator. And note that I hate simulators with a passion, yet I left this one with no nausea or motion sickness.

Fast & Furious 3D experience. Too busy avoiding bullets to record it though

But before the tour ended, we were also nearly drowned in a flood and then hit by a derailed train. Luckily they were just sets - the latter having been used in the TV show Bones – as I doubt this would have been covered in our travel insurance. And speaking of deadly waters, we also passed alongside "Amity Island". Sound familiar? Yes, it's the home of Jaws. A now closed-down ride that’s been reshaped to serve the studio tour instead, we got to see a movie-quality shark (not a good thing but at the same time a great thing) popping up out of the water among the flames of an ignited oil drum! 

So, our Jurassic Park adventures continued as we hit Jurassic Park: The Ride twice! Having also been to the Orlando version, the differences are obvious. For starters, unlike Orlando this is not "Camp Jurassic". Orlando dedicates a large space to the ride and more. That’s not to suggest LA doesn’t – it’s just not as big. But it’s equally awesome, and I was thrilled that it differs from Orlando. For starters, there’s a movie-quality Spinosaurus (not that it was a particularly good quality in the film but outside the film it looks awesome), and next to an awful man-in-a-raptor suit it looked even better. In fact, the raptor-puppet looked so embarrassing – at least by the franchise's standards – that we both simply refused to take any pictures or engage him. Then there’s a Jurassic Park restaurant where we enjoyed some burgers (sadly no table loaded with ice cream and jelly or raptor-infested kitchens though). There’s also no Pterosaur Ride or Visitor Centre like in Orlando or even games such as Hammond’s Hotshots, but there is the trademark souvenir shop Jurassic Outfitters, where I ended up stubbornly watching the last fifteen minutes of Jurassic World on a big TV screen, totally transfixed.

The teeth and claws on that ride are very dangerous...

Welcome to Jurassic Park/World-Land

Now that makes for an interesting job title

Don't expect cowardly lawyers to stick around for long

Erm, where did all the passengers go?

He looks a lot more realistic when he isn't moving

Jurassic Park food, which is surprisingly not a bunch of people

He had clearly escaped from the restaurant kitchen freezer

We were in there for some time afterwards

The ride itself is perhaps the best ride I’ve ever experienced and never gets boring. The T.Rex at the end before the 84-foot plummet is just pure movie quality, making it bloody terrifying. In fact, so terrifying that according to a hostess in Disneyland the day before as we headed in to meet fellow Wookie, Chewy, Steven Spielberg himself asked to come off the ride when he first tried it out – just before he got to the T-Rex! When you gotta go, you gotta go, I guess...

We also got to experience the hugely-anticipated The Walking Dead walk-through experience. But I’ll cut to the chase here and tell you it’s not worth the sixty or so seconds. Sure, naturally the walkers are semi-terrifying but I generally just found it to be less a case of running and screaming and more walking and talking. A bit like the show then.

A far cry from Disneyland...

Speaking of post-apocalyptic worlds, we experienced the Water World production which is based on the Kevin Costner film of the same name. It's a stunt-soaked, action-packed extravaganza so good I've been dying to watch the film ever since, and I remember that it's not that great!

Did in 20 minutes what the film couldn't do in some 2 hours

Now I can hardly finish a post without mentioning Ghostbusters. But what does this have to do with Universal, you might ask? It's Sony-licensed, but like many other non-Universal franchises there's a neat little merchandise in one of the park's stores. Personally, and this is a thought I've had for some time, I hope that either Disney or Universal pick up the rights to Ghostbusters in time. But that's another post entirely...

Me: I want one of those StayPufts!
Sian: We got one.


In finishing up on our awesome theme park experiences, I’d like to take this opportunity to thank my own wonderful, beautiful Disney Princess for buying me an exclusive Mickey Mouse watch from the park.

So, whether it’s Disneyland or Universal Studios and all the awesome details and the magic they’re made up of, it’s not just mindless fun for me - or Sian. As you know, I’m a creative person and the reason I love this kind of stuff so much is because, to me, this is real magic. I can only dream that the novels I’m working on will be successful in the future and that they’re picked up for movie-making. Then I guess you could say I’d be a part of this world…

No comments:

Post a Comment