Curious about something in particular..?

Monday 31 December 2018

2018 in Film


I've been very quiet on the film front lately, which has been largely to do with other commitments and of course the time of year. But here are my best, worst, most overrated and most underrated films of 2018 in no particular order. And if you'd like to read the full review for a particular film, just click on the title:

The Most Overrated Films of 2018

Every year has its fair share of films that are given far more critical praise than they deserve. Box office success is another matter entirely, so my list of 2018's overrated films are based entirely on their critical reception. While my lists aren't in precise order, here I have attempted to start with the most overrated and so on. I also can't finish without adding that while I didn't hate any film on this list, I didn't necessarily like them either - a shame where Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2 is concerned given how much I love the original.

Coco
Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2
Ant-Man & The Wasp

Semi-Honourable Mentions of 2018

Please don't go mistaking this list for films I'm actually going to run out and buy. Sure, these flicks did keep me entertained for the most part, and while most are forgettable I feel that they deserve a place on this list because they simply don't belong - or fit - on any of my other three lists. Whether or not they actually deserved a little more love in the theatres is another matter entirely, though. I'd be inclined to say they didn't, because some films are simply destined to entertain and not do much else.

Venom

The Worst Films of 2018

And now we get to the exciting stuff. There are a couple of films here that in time I may feel didn't quite deserve to be considered among the worst of 2018, and those films are A Simple Favour and Insidious 4: The Last Key. It should already be pretty obvious I didn't like these films, but they just don't belong elsewhere, and so almost by default make it into this list. Perhaps the most shocking entry here, though, is Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald...

The Slaughterhouse Rulez
The Nutcracker & The Four Realms
A Simple Favour

The Best Films of 2018

And so we finally arrive at my favourite films of 2018. This isn't to say I found all of these films to be flawless masterpieces, though, but rather edge-of-your-seat thrill rides like The Predator or Tomb Raider or deeply engaging dramas such as Love, Simon and The Green Book. While this list also follows no real order, I have placed Halloween (2018) at the top for a good reason. As for my most anticipated film, it had to be Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. While far from perfect, I'm just happy it didn't make it onto any other list.

The Green Book
The Grinch
Bohemian Rhapsody

You may have noticed that this post is missing a few films - and you'd be right in thinking so. I'm yet to even watch Mary Poppins ReturnsAquaman, Spider-Man: Into the Spider Verse, Once Upon a Deadpool and Bumblee, let alone review them!

Curious Rookie will be undergoing something of an overhaul in 2019. I don't intend to stop talking about films, but 99% of my writing efforts will be focused on an exciting new children's novel that I'll be writing. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for reading my blog in 2018, and hope that you'll return in the New Year. In the meantime, stay tuned and stay curious...

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to AG The Chief Beats! We will help you distinguish your sound and stand out from the rest. https://www.agthachiefbeats.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a really good year ! Liked some of them

    ReplyDelete